Allen Teen Court is an educational opportunity that helps teen defendants and volunteers understand our justice system. Teen Court is a voluntary program that allows juvenile Class C misdemeanor defendants to handle their citation through community service and involvement in the judicial process. Cases are presented by volunteer Teen Court attorneys to a jury of the defendant's peers, including volunteers from local middle/high schools and previous teen defendants.
Jury members assess a sentence of community service following the guidelines set by the Municipal Court. Upon successfully completion of Teen Court, the defendant will not have to pay any fines. Instead, the charges will be dismissed and removed from the youth's permanent record.
Register to participate in Teen Court Academy
Applicants for attorney positions must complete mandatory Teen Court Academy training prior to participation. Applicants must complete an application to participate in Teen Court Academy. The next Academy begins in August 2023 and continues through April 2024. Application deadline is Friday, Aug. 4, 2023.
Sign up for Teen Court
Why participate in Teen Court?
Teen Court is a unique service opportunity which can sharpen skills and prepare teens for future careers.
- Receive letters of recommendation for colleges and scholarships
- Develop strong interpersonal skills
- Make a meaningful difference in your community
- Experience court procedures and the legal system firsthand
- Help other teens by diverting them from a criminal record
- Learn responsibility and accountability
Everyone attending Teen Court should dress in attire respecting the dignity of the court. No jeans, shorts, tank tops, crop tops, hats or flip flops allowed. Youth attorneys are expected to wear businesslike attire. Dress code is strictly enforced.
- No electronic devices (including cell phones)
- No audio/visual recordings without permission
- No pets
- No weapons
- No gum, food or drinks
- No tobacco/vaping/e-cigarettes
- MUST have access to an electronic device with internet (includes cell phones)
- MUST have audio/visual capabilities during Zoom meeting
- Requires a quiet location with no background noises