Citizen Self Service (CSS)
Apply for all permits using the Citizen Self-Service (CSS) portal. Review required documents and payments by downloading our Guide for Submitting a Building Permit [PDF].
- What is CSS?
CSS stands for Citizen Self Service. The CSS portal allows applications, payments and requests to be made online.
- How do I register in CSS?
- Why can't I find my address when I search for it?
Make sure you only enter the street number and street name when searching for the address. Do not include the suffix when searching for your address (i.e. exclude Drive, Parkway, Road, etc.). Also, make sure you click the magnifying glass to conduct the search.
- How do I know when I need to make a payment?
Your dashboard will show activity to pay; please make sure you are checking often.
- Why can’t I add the owner / co-applicant / etc. as another contact in CSS?
To add a contact to your application, the individual first must register in the CSS portal. Once they are registered, you can search and add them as a contact.
- How do I pay my fees?
- Online: Credit Card, Visa, MasterCard or Discover
- In person: Cash or check - Deliver to the Building and Permitting Department at Allen City Hall (first floor), 305 Century Parkway
- I’m the owner / co-applicant / etc. Why can’t I see any invoices for my submittals?
The original applicant (whomever is logged in when applying) will automatically be assigned as the billing contact. If you need to change the billing contact, please let us know and we can change it for you.
- How can I print my permit?
Once the permit is approved and released for issuance, you can navigate to the permit on your CSS dashboard. Click the blue printer icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Can I use any web browser with CSS?
Internet Explorer is the recommended web browser for CSS; however, the portal works with Google Chrome as well.
- How will I know if the permit I am applying for is within the city limits, the ETJ or outside?
City limit and zoning information is available through our interactive map.
- CSS says my account has been locked out because I entered the wrong password. What do I do?
Wait three minutes and try again. As long as you remember your password and are entering it correctly, the system will let you in after it resets. If you need to reset your password, click the Forgot Password link and you will receive an email to reset your password.
- How do I add additional contacts to my permit?
Contacts can be added by clicking on the Contacts tab, and then clicking on the Add Contact button.